Fourth of July parade, 1928 Old Canterbury/Plainfield bridge in winter, c.1920 Canterbury Green looking to the northeast, c.1950 Setting the Rochambeau Memorial March marker, May 2006 The Willoughby house at the intersection of Routes 14 & 169, c.1930 Walter Papuga at his Westminster Hill Store, c.1960 Preserving the Cleaveland Cemetery gate, 1976 The Asa Bacon Homestead, c.1900 Recess at the Green School, c. early 1900s Carpenter's hoops ready for delivery, c.1920s Calvary Chapel, c.1940s Butts Bridge under construction, 1936 Near Old RT 14 Quinebaug Bridge, c.1912 Arthur Bennett's sawmill, c.1920 Charles Barstow with buggy, c. early 1900s John Warner Barber print of Canterbury Green, 1835 Jonathan Wheeler House -- built 1760 Dr. Helen Baldwin & family, c.1945 The Flood of August 1955
 
Event Details - Older Legacy Site
 
You are viewing select pages from the Canterbury Historical Society’s older legacy website.

Click here to return to the current site.
 
Saturday, October 12th 2013 at 1:00 to 3:00 PM
 
Location: Green District School - Canterbury Green - CT Route 169 (South Canterbury Road), adjacent to the First Congregational Church, just south of the intersection of CT Routes 169 and 14 - (turn in at Library Road)  
   

Historic One-Room Green District Schoolhouse Open to Visitors

The historic 19th century one-room Green District Schoolhouse will be open to visitors for the 2013 season on the second Saturday of June, July, August, and October, from 1:00 to 3:00 PM, and all day long on September 14 in conjunction with the Canterbury Historical Society's Old Home Day.

You can also request an appointment to see the schoolhouse by calling 860-546-9062 or sending an email to info@canterburyhistorical.org.

Please stop by for a glimpse of what education was like in the days of Canterbury's one-room district schools. Restored by the Canterbury Historical Society, this is the only one-room school in town open to the public. It's a great opportunity for children to see what school was like in the not-so-distant past, and depending on who is volunteering that day, perhaps even chat with someone who attended a one-room school. Enjoy photo displays of Canterbury's old one-room schoolhouses, their teachers and students.

Free admission.

 

 

Cliff Williams with saw rig, c.1920s The Prudence Crandall House, c. early 1900s First Congregational Church, December 1963 First Congregational Church fire, December 1963 Ford (Fort) Ned remains, 2002 Frink & Wright Store, c.1930 Canterbury Grange, c. 1920s Teacher Happie K. Tracy, c. 1950s Fly rod maker Hiram Hawes, c. 1920s Henry Larkham & friend, c. 1900s Canterbury Plains, c. early 1900s Statue of Moses Cleaveland in Cleveland, Ohio Bennett's skunk farm on Graff Road, c.1920s

 

WorkflowWizards.com