Canterbury Green Churches

Canterbury Green Churches

Four successive Congregational church buildings have stood on the same spot on the Canterbury Green for three hundred years. The church in Canterbury was established in 1711 and work then began on the first meeting house at the Green’s highest point. The second...
George Washington Smith House

George Washington Smith House

Built in 1886 across the street from his mast hoop shop, the George Washington Smith House is the best preserved example of Victorian period architecture in town reflecting an Italianate influence of no particular design. The house looks very much the same...
Emile’s Service Station

Emile’s Service Station

Emile’s Service Station on South Canterbury Road and Bennett Pond Road was owned and operated for 10 years by Emile Becotte (1910-2001). The gas station was one of at least seven that operated in Canterbury from the 1920s to the 1970s. Today it is the home of...